Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pretty cake +recipe

I made a CAKE!!!
What I actually mean to say is I made a pretty cake.
I'm pretty proud of my cupcake decorating skills & I make a decent looking cookie if I do say so myself :)
But I've always been intimidated to try a pretty cake.
Not anymore :)


It's far from perfect. I get that.
But I'm definitely proud of it!
Next I'll be recruiting my friend, Nina to teach me some tricks of the trade :)
I made this cake for a wedding shower for some friends on Friday...
So I didn't get to take a picture of the pretty inside.
I'll probably just have to make another one soon. Hurray!

Photobucket

I used my tried & true vanilla cake recipe because that way I knew it would be delicious even if it turned out ugly and I had to eat it all myself ;)
This recipe about drove me crazy when it was in the development stages,
But I survived and this cake is GREAT!
I usually use it for cupcakes and it makes 14.
For this cake I split the batter and baked two 7 inchers.
Twas perfect!

Sugar Mama's Vanilla Cake
{so good no one will know it gluten free & vegan!}


ingredients:
3/4 cup sorghum flour (or organic brown rice flour)
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup organic coconut flour
1 cup organic cane sugar (I really love this one. It's fair trade!)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 cup plain coconut milk (or soy, almond, whatever you're into)
1 cup warm water
3 TBSP grapeseed oil (or coconut, organic canola, again it's your call)
1 TBSP GOOD vanilla (no artificial ok? splurge. I'm serious.)
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

instructions:

-preheat oven to 375 degrees
-measure milk into a liquid measuring cup & add lemon juice (set aside for now)
-whisk together all dry ingredients
-add all liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with electric mixer until smooth
-fill cupcake wrappers or greased cake pans
-bake cupcakes for 15-2o minutes or cake for 30ish minutes
-when cake is ready it will be light brown on top and spring back when you press it lightly

enjoy!
(ps- I'm linking up all over the place)

16 comments:

  1. It is so cute! And it looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake is beautiful!!!
    A few blog friends and I are hosting our first link party tomorrow to finish off the Imagine the Impossibilities Challenge, we go live at 7amET. Today I revealed my project for the challenge, a gallery wall with only one screw in the wall. It would be great if you have a chance to check it out and link up! http://thespacebetweenblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-one-screw-gallery-wall-is-here/
    Karah @ thespacebetweenblog = your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is GORGEOUS!!! love your cute cute blog!! Thanks so much for stopping by my fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks amazing!! Thank you for stopping by my blog, I am happy to have now discovered yours :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cake! I have a friend that must have GF so I'm sure she would love this. I stopped by from Debbiedoo's and so happy I did!
    I'm a new follower and look forward to getting to know you.

    Stop by and say hi when you can!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! We eat mostly organic and I'm just now venturing out into the gluten free world. I'm your newest follower and I hope you'll stop by my new food blog and follow back :) The Sweet Spot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ashley,

    I love your blog! I have awarded you a Liebster Blog Award. Check out my blog myserendipityhome.blogspot.com for more details on the award, and keep up the good work. :)

    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good and yummy!! Love the fun cake colors!


    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me just say I am not a baker, but this makes me want to give it a go! Thank you so much for sharing this over at my blog today...I'm sure there are others glad that you did too. Please feel free to share your sweetness at my spot anytime:D Maybe by the time I get married, I will have mastered the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this cake for Valentine's! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it's beautiful :) looks perfect to me!

    Found you through the Polkadot-Pretties linky!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit, your baking skills are extremely intimidating to me, but I SO enjoy looking at your pretty pictures!! This is more than a pretty cake, it's a BEAUTIFUL cake!! You go, girl!!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great. Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more great ideas! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi - what do you use for frosting?? Thanks - can't wait to try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can honey be substituted for the sugar?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...