Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Red Velvet!

So how much did you all love Ashley's sweet story yesterday?
Pretty great huh? Such a perfect way to kick off the series.
I mean I can't think of a better valentine dessert than red velvet.
Today I'm sharing red velvet the Sugar Mama way (sans gluten & dairy...not that you'll miss it).

Red Velvet Cake

ingredients:
-3/4 c sorghum flour
-1/2 c organic brown rice flour
-1/4 c tapioca flour
-1/2 tsp xanthan gum
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp baking powder
-2 TB+2 tsp cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-3/4 c organic cane sugar
-3/4 c plain coconut milk (or soy, almond, rice. whatev.)
-1 tsp apple cider vinegar
-1/4 c oil (I love grapeseed & coconut.)
-1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
-2 tsp vanilla (don't skimp, remember?)
-1/2 tsp red gel food coloring



instructions:
-preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-measure milk in liquid measuring cup, add vinegar and set aside.
-whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
-add liquid ingredients to bowl and mix with electric mixer until smooth.
-bake in cupcake liners for 15-20 minutes or 8" pan for 30 minutes.
-makes 12 cupcakes

And now for the easy... but oh so creamy & delicious part :)
After all, is it really even red velvet without:

Cream Cheese Frosting ?


-8 oz package of vegan cream cheese (tofutti is my fave)
-1/2 c organic shortening (Spectrum)
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 1/2 tsp plain coconut milk
-5 c powdered sugar

Mix it up with your electric mixer!
(I add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and add extra milk 1/2 tsp at a time if I need it).

PS this is enough frosting for a double cake recipe... which is what I used to make my layer cake.

Enjoy it, my friends!

PS (again) I'm also sharing a new recipe at Her Late Night Cravings today!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I have been hunting around for a red velvet recipe that's gluten free - thankyou! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course!! I'm so glad to help :) Happy baking! I would love to know what you think!

      Delete
  2. your blog is adorable! and this dessert looks delicious! now if only i had a baking thumb! :)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Everything you talk about sounds good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. red velvet is my husbands favorite , i must try this out

    thanks for visiting, now following ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better than red velvet cake! I'd love for you to submit this to the M&T Spotlight http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar Mama you rick! Red velvet is my favorite cake :D Thanks for linking up with me this week and continuing to share your baked treats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so so excited I found you (through the lovely Cara) I LOVE your blog.... awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to!! I'm so happy to have you & to get to know you :)

      Delete
  8. This is so very pretty!! And so is your blog...I love it! I love what people are doing with allergy-friendly foods these days. There is no holding back anymore. Along with 4 other bloggers, I host an allergy-friendly blog hop on Wednesdays. I would love for you to link this up. This past Wednesdays is still open (until Sunday) or save it until next week. You can find it at willingcook.com. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this! Several in our family are allergic to EVERYTHING, and finding recipes is so hard. I'm going to make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOOKS GOOD!!!!!! FOUND U ON THE SUNDAY SOCIAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing with us on Six Sister's link party!- We have many followers who are allergic to many things! So your link was perfect! We would love for you to share more wonderful ideas with us next week!
    - Six Sister's Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so delicious!! You are really giving a good argument for dairy/gluten free! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI sugar mama, I tried to make this recipe today and it turned out great! But I can't use red dye and natural red dye is not easy to come by. I've read about people subsituting beet root purée in their red velvet cakes. If I do that, do you think there are any adjustments to this recipe that need to be made or do you think it will be ok? Other red velvet recipes recommend 3/4 cup beet root purée, do you think it would affect texture or taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! I have heard of using beet puree but I haven't tried it yet myself... 3/4 cup is a LOT and I think it would definitely change the consistency and flavor of the cake. Maybe you could try beet powder? This article is really cool about using the powder to make a natural food dye: http://blog.junbelen.com/2010/12/13/how-to-make-red-food-coloring-from-red-beet-powder/
      I would love to hear if it works for you :)

      Delete
  14. Thanks! I'll definitely experiment with these and let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...